Monday, June 21, 2010

Faith in the American attention span

Sinéad O'Connor gave an interview on NPR yesterday about the crisis in the Catholic Church with regards to its coverup of pedophilia.  She's made no secret of her anger towards the Church's leadership, but she seems to have found a new ally:
A fantastic thing is and we in Ireland are very, very happy about this - is the fact that America has now joined the fight.... Once the American media and the American people get involved in this, then it's all over. It's only a matter of time before, you know, the truth outs.
Wow. Here's hoping.

Meanwhile, I have loved her music throughout my adult life, and I basically agree with her politics when I can figure them out, but I just can't let this one go:
I believe that the Holy Spirit is pure love and pure compassion. I don't believe it's judgmental. I believe it's horrified by what's been happening to children and what's been done in its name.
Anything that's horrified by someone's actions is... well... judgmental.  Okay, it's the good kind of judgmental in this case, but still.

No comments: