Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Balls

I attended the Colorado Inaugural Ball last night. I declined to attend any balls this evening, although I had a line on a few of them. The old saw that balls are overpriced and overhyped remains basically true. You pay $10 for a ticket to buy alcohol, then you give that ticket to a bartender who gives you a glass of $4 wine. Plus, you've spent at least $100 on a rented outfit that you wear for maybe 3 hours. It's a bit disappointing. On the other hand, you look great.

Still, I did have fun at the Colorado ball. I met up with a lot of my fellow delegates and got to chat politics with them, which I always enjoy. I got to speak briefly with our newest senator, Michael Bennet, and got a nice photo with him, too. (I'll post that later.) Just about the whole Colorado congressional delegation was there, with the exception of the Salazar brothers. I didn't see Betsy Markey there, either, but I might have missed her.

The band played a nice rendition of "Sweet Child o' Mine." I ate cheesecake.

No comments: